Friday, May 2, 2008

Pigeon River Angling Adventure

I fished the Pigeon River with my good friend Paul yesterday. It is always an adventure going on a fishin' expedition with Paul. The Pigeon River is located in the Northeast corner of Indiana and flows through the town of Mongo...that's right Mongo. The Pigeon river also flows through the heart of Indiana's Amish country. Driving through the Amish country one tends to encounter a good number of horse drawn carriages. Upon spotting the Amish top choice of transportation Paul turned to me and said, "Man Dave the Amish sure did have it right with those horse drawn carriages." I turned to him and said, "What do you mean?" Paul turned and looked at me with a devilish smile on his face and went on to tell me his theory on how the Amish stuck with horse drawn carriages as their prime mode of transportation for hundreds of years.

Paul's story went something like this.....
"Well you see Dave, the Amish had the foresight to see that gas prices would climb so high that only the rich could afford to drive automobiles. Eventually everyone else would be back to riding in carriages. Heck Dave, gas is already near $4.00 a gallon. How much longer do you think we are going to be able to afford to drive? Geez Dave, If I were you I would start looking for a good Palomino now. The Amish knew all along that eventually we would all be back to riding horses, washing our cloths in a tub, and cooking on a wood stove. The Amish have a leg up on all of us."

We finally made it to the river and I was lucky enough to catch a fine rainbow trout on my first cast of the day. Paul cursed loudly when he heard of my good fortune. He claimed catching a fish on the first cast of the day meant we would probably be skunked for the remainder of the day. He was wrong about that, but the fishing was slow. I managed a limit of trout, but had to work hard for them.

Here is a nice Pigeon River Brown Trout



The best thing about fishing around the town of Mongo is stopping for lunch at Sarge's. Sarge's is a tiny biker bar in the middle of town. If you went there on a weekend driving a Mini Cooper, chances are you would probably get your ass kicked. The bar is generally pretty quiet on week days at lunch time. The bar maid, Cindy cooks up an awesome cheese burger. She also has a few nice attributes that go very well with her perky small talk. The low cut, nearly see through blouse she was wearing accentuated her attributes very nicely, especially when she would lean over the bar to serve up a drink. Upon exiting the bar I commented to Paul about the loveliness of Cindy's attributes and he said, "I did not notice anything." .....Ya right Paul. I took the time to snap a picture of the clock at Sarge's. It Must be 5 o'clock somewhere. Hmmmm.



Paul and I continued to fish the rest of the afternoon, catching a few trout here and there. The fishing was not fantastic, but it was a beautiful day to be out on the Pigeon River. As we drove out of Mongo and through Amish country I found myself looking at some of the horse drawn carriages we passed. I wondered how much they cost and if the Amish would be willing to wholesale them to me, if I decide to open up a horse and carriage dealership in the near future.

Paul On The Pigeon River

Photobucket

No comments: