Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Great Lakes Carping

There are many angling opportunities in the early spring around the Great Lakes When the Steelhead fishing that keeps me busy most of the year starts to slow down in Mid April; I like to pursue the giant Carp of Lake Michigan. I started carp fishing as a young boy, after becoming bored with the pan fish and Largemouth Bass that lived in the local ponds around my suburban Chicago home. After failing dismally in first my Carp fishing adventures, I read everything I could find on the sport of Angling for Carp. Slowly I became a very successful Carp Angler. My short stout Bass rods soon gave way to new long ultra light action carp rods. Reels were spooled with 2 and 4 pound test. The heavy 2/0 bass hooks were set aside for #10 and 12 finesse hooks.



Looking back, my success with Carp fishing was a coming of age as an advanced angler. Being a consistently successful Carp angler requires maximum stealth and scent control. Thin diameter line, tiny hooks, and a natural presentation are a must. Carp are very shy fish and will flee at any sign of danger. As a boy I would cast out my lines and hide behind bushes along the bank in order not to spook Carp. Carp were the largest and hardest fighting fish in the lakes and ponds I frequented as a boy. I quickly forgot about the Bass and Pan fish and became a serious carp angler.



Big Lake = Big Carp
As my angling horizons expanded I was introduced to the giant carp of Lake Michigan. The largest carp that lived in my boyhood ponds rarely exceeded 20 pounds. The big lake carp I target now can average 20 pounds, 30 pounders are common, and I have caught them over 50 pounds. The big lake giants are also more carnivorous than the small pond carp I pursued as a boy. They will chase down crayfish and minnows like any other game fish. This opens the door for fly fishing.



Fly fishing for Great Lakes carp can be just as exciting as salt water flats fishing. Fly tackle best suited for big lake carp are 7 or 8 weight rods with smooth disc drag reels. Weight forward floating lines are best and 10 foot leader/tippet combinations that taper to 2X(8lb) will do fine. My favorite flies for Lake Michigan carp include Clouser Minnows and crayfish patterns.
Gear guys can really stack up big numbers of big carp. As always thin diameter line and small hooks play a big role for success. Float fishing and bottom rigging are good tactics. My favorite bait is a combination of a wax worm threaded onto a #10 hook, with a few kernels of corn to cover the point of the hook.

No comments: