Monday, August 18, 2008

We have been having fun all summer long.

I really have to say that the steelheading in Northwest Indiana and Southwest Michigan has not been very good this summer. We had to work very hard and cover a ton of water to get any numbers of fish. Of course we have our honey holes that always produce, but fishing has been tough in general. I started off my summer on the Lakefront. The action was slow on average, but I managed a fish or 2 each time out. I did have a few awesome days, but they were much fewer than in past years.

Here is one of my best fish of the summer.














I even had a few evenings out on the pier were 2 of my rods had fish on at the same time and I had bystanders catch the second fish. Young Avery just happen to be standing by my rods when I had a double and he got to catch his first steelhead.














For me, the evenings were more productive than the early mornings.














The creeks yielded a few fish also, but we really had to work for them up until the past few days. We have manged to catch steelhead fly fishing, spinner fishing, and float fishing with various baits.Greg took this fine chromer on a white flying bunny.














The awesome #3 Indiana Orange spinner did the trick for Jeff. This silver bullet nearly ripped the rod out of his hands when it struck.
















The creeks have been fishing very well the past few days. I have been averaging 3 fish per hour spent fishing. It looks like the summer run steelies have finally began to run. The fish are chrome and the fights are unbelievable.

1 comment:

Snapper said...

Dave: sorry to hear that you shut down the tackle shop. I have been out of the NWI area for a few years. I still use the flyrod you built me. I am living in Southern Ontario now and I just bought a drift rod. Never tried it, but I am looking forward to using it. Good Luck!